Thursday 27 August 2015

The day I got the European Space Agency logo in Kerbal Space Program

I was trying to think of something to post about today whilst sipping at my coffee on my day off, when I suddenly remembered one of the coolest things I've ever done, which I never posted about. About 6 months ago, I was playing Kerbal Space Program. If you've never heard of it before, it's a computer game where you control your own space agency, creating rockets and exploring the Solar System.

Part of the game allows you to add a logo for your space agency and one of the possible options is to use the NASA logo. However I was sad to see that the European Space Agency logo wasn't a possible option (having worked at ESA for a year I feel passionate about giving them their deserved publicity and appreciation!). So, I half jokingly sent a tweet to both ESA and the makers of Kerbal Space Program, commenting that they should get together so I can represent ESA.
I didn't expect to get anything back, let alone only a few minutes later from the guys behind KSP!

So, the KSP guys were up for it. But ESA are a big serious corporation, surely it wouldn't be so easy with them....

Except it was! Just a few minute after ESA came back with the thumbs up to use the logo. As you can imagine, quite a few people on Twitter joined in to celebrate our diversifying of space agency logos...


And so, the European Space Agency logo was added to Kerbal Space Program in the next update and you can now represent them with the logo in game. It's great to see two big companies working together. Adding the logo was just a small thing, but it really makes a big difference!


No comments:

Post a Comment